Everything about teeth whitening
Teeth whitening has to do with bleaching the teeth to make them look brighter and whiter. It is a cosmetic treatment and a suitable way to maintain a healthy and bright smile. However, most people need help with this.
Most people consider teeth whitening for different reasons, including discolouration due to smoking, stains from tea, coffee or red wine, or age-related changes.
Fortunately,our professional practice offers quick and safe professional teeth whitening treatments to remove the stains without damaging your teeth or gums. We have treated many patients, and thousands of them regained their confidence from abrighter and whiter smile.
Teeth whitening are of two types: in-practice whitening or at-home teeth whitening.
Why choose Smile Clinic London for teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is a task only dental professionals (registered with the General Dental Council) can provide. We offer the most suitable teeth whitening options, and whichever you choose, we assure you that it is safe and effective.
Before starting the teeth whitening treatment at our practice, we will invite you for an initial consultation to double-check that your teeth are suitable for the process. During this consultation, we will:
- Evaluate your teeth and gums to be sure that they are healthy and suitable for the whitening
- Discuss with you the available teeth whitening options and their associated cost, and help you pick the most suitable
- Determine your treatment duration. Depending on the type you choose, it could be as little as an hour or a few weeks
In-practice teeth whitening
This procedure of teeth whitening can make your teethsix shades whiter within an hour. For the procedure, our dentist will apply a gel on your teeth and use a special blue light to quicken the whitening process.
At-home teeth whitening
For at-home teeth whitening, our dentist will give you a teeth whitening kit which contains gels and traysfor use at home. You will put the gel in the tray and wear it overnight or as recommended by the dentist. This kind of treatment usually takes about a few weeks before getting the shade of white you need.
Home teeth whitening kits are also given as a top-up after the in-practice whitening.
Internal teeth whitening: what is it?
Internal teeth whitening is usually recommended for people who have a darker tooth after having a root canal.
For this process, the hole created on your tooth during the root canal will be reopened, and the whitening gel will be put into it. After that, the dentist will close it with a temporary filling. The dentist may repeat this process two to three times a week apart. When this process is completed, your dentist will permanently close the hole with tooth-coloured fillings.
Caring for your teeth after whitening
To make your teeth whitening last longer, it is essential to care for your teeth after the treatment.Maximise the effect of your teeth whitening by doing the following;
- Use fluoride toothpaste to brush your teeth for 2 minutes at least twice a day. This will remove the daily stains that accumulate on your teeth
- Floss daily
- Make regular visits to your hygienist for a scale and polish
- Stop smoking or at least reduceyour frequency of smoking
- Reduce the amount of teeth staining food you take like red wine and coffee
- Ask your dentist for top-up kits to maintain your new bright smile. Our dentist will also show you how to care for your white smile after the treatment
Is teeth whitening suitable for you?
Before having a teeth whitening treatment, you need to know the following;
- You must be 18 years old or above to have teeth whitening
- You must have healthy teeth and gums. Your dentist will check this during the initial consultation
- You shouldn't have teeth whitening if you are pregnant or breastfeeding since it is not ascertained whether or not the teeth whitening product can affect your baby
- Know that teeth whitening will not lighten the colours of veneers, crowns, bridges, or dentures
If your dentist says you are not suitable for teeth whitening, they may give you other options to consider, like crowns or veneers. However, these are usually more suitable if you have particularly damaged or discoloured teeth.
Your dentist will discuss all these options and more during the initial consultation.
If you wish to have a healthy and bright smile, our dentists at Smile Clinic London will be glad to help you bring this dream to a reality. Reach out to us today or call us on 0207 139 8611 to schedule an appointment.